Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Highlights of Louis Marshall's work with the environment and SUNY ESF
Highlights of Louis Marshall's environmental work and involvement with SUNY ESF.
- In 1894 Louis Marshall helped write, defend, support and see through the enactment of Article 14, the "Forever Wild" clause, in the New York State constitutional Amendment to the New York State Constitution which went into effect in 1895 and still stands to this day. This Forever Wild clause protects New York’s forest preserve lands and state lands in the Adirondacks and Catskills will be kept forever wild as forest lands.
- The story of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry cannot be told without the story of Louis and Robert Marshall. Without Louis Marshall it is hard to say what the SUNY ESF campus would look like today if it were not for Louis Marshall’s involvement.
- Louis Marshall was the first president of the Board of Trustees for the College of Forestry. With his connections and influences within NYS government - Marshall was able to persuade NY Governor John Alden Dix to sign the construction bill that eventually built Bray Hall - the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s first building. In 1917 Bray Hall opened and housed 9 departments - Silviculture, Forest Technology, Forest Engineering, Forest Utilization, Forest Botany, Forest Entomology, Forest Zoology, City Forestry, and Forest Economics.
- Louis Marshall continued on the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Board of Trustees from 1911 to 1929.
- In 1933 the second building on the SUNY ESF campus was built - “Marshall Hall”.
Publications by and about Louis Marshall
Partial list of publications by and about Louis Marshall.
Marshall, Louis. Louis Marshall: Champion of Liberty: Selected Papers and Addresses. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1957.
Marshall, Louis. Russia and the American Passport: Address of Louis Marshall to the Delegates at the Twenty-Second Council, Union of American Hebrew Congregations, Thursday, January 19, 1911 ; Together with Resolution Unanimously Adopted. New York: The Union, 1911.
Silver, M. M. Louis Marshall and the Rise of Jewish Ethnicity in America: A Biography. Syracuse, New York: Syracuse University Press, 2013.