Interlibrary Loan @ ESF
Welcome! Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a supplementary service provided in cooperation with libraries around the world to help the ESF campus community obtain materials needed for research and study that are not available at Moon Library. ILL service is available to faculty, staff, and students of the College of Environmental Science and Foresty, and to Empire State students.
Books and theses are borrowed from lending libraries and individual journal articles are scanned and sent electronically from lending libraries. While most materials can be obtained, few libraries will lend whole periodicals, reference books, textbooks, media materials, rare books, or current publications (i.e. published in the last year). The speed with which requests get filled varies greatly, depending on the type and rarity of material requested, where it is located geographically, and the form in which it is supplied.
Please use the tabs above or links below to navigate this guide and learn more about ILL.
ILL Tip of the Month
How to renew your ILL book:
- Log in to your ILL account
- In the Checked Out Items box at the top of the page, click the 5-digit number next to the book you want to renew
- Click the Renew Request button at the top of the new page that opens
What happens next:
- The renewal request is sent to the lending library who will confirm or deny the renewal request
- You will receive an email with either a new due date or a statement saying the book cannot be renewed
- Requesting a renewal in your ILL account does not automatically guarantee the book will be renewed
- Renewal requests must be made before the due date
- If the renewal request is denied, the book must be returned by the original due date
- Often only one renewal is allowed, but you can contact the ILL office for further renewals
How Does ILL Work?
Books and Media:
- Email notifications will be sent out letting you know that you can come to the circulation desk at Moon Library to pick up your book.
- Some items will be marked as 'Library Use Only.' This means that the lending library has stipulated that those items not be taken outside the library due to their fragile or rare nature.
- Renewals must be requested before the book is due. To renew a book, log in to your ILLiad account, click on 'Checked Out Items' on the left-hand side, click on the transaction number of the book you want to renew, and then click 'Renew Request' at the top of the page. You will receive an email stating whether or not the book is renewed with the new due date. Often books are only allowed one renewal by the lending library.
- Books will come with attached paperwork noting when the book is due back and any additional information - please leave this paperwork on the book!
- Courtesy emails will be sent reminding you to either renew or return your book.
- Email notifications will be sent letting you know your article is availble for viewing - follow the link provided in the email.
- Articles may be viewed by logging in to your ILLiad account and clicking 'View' next to article shown in the 'Electronically Received Articles' box.
ESF has been recognized as a Rethinking Resource Sharing STAR! The Moon Library has received 4 out of 4 stars for our commitment to resource sharing best practices. This award presented by the Rethinking Resource Sharing Initiative and the American Libraries Association's Reference & User Services Association provides recognition for contributions to and improvements in library resource sharing services.
WorldCat is a global catalog of library collections and a great place to find materials not owned by ESF or SU.